How to deliver child accident prevention and first aid advice to parents
"The trainer's enthusiasm for the subject was obvious - empowered me to feel that this is something that I can develop in my area. Good examples of a wide range of training methods."
- First Aid Trainer, attending our open course in October, 2013
"A great day's training. Very interesting and informative. Delivered very enthusiastically and clearly. Has made me feel more confident around this area."
- Physical Risk Assessment Officer, attending our open course in October, 2013
Learn how to engage parents on accident prevention and equip them with basic first aid.
Who should attend?
About the course
Children under five have the highest rates of emergency hospital admissions for accidents – and many of these can be prevented.
Acting quickly and doing the right things can also make a big difference if an injury has occurred.
This one-day course for practitioners will cover accidents such as falls, burns and scalds, poisoning and choking. It will include basic first aid and will explore how best to share this information with mothers, fathers and other carers.
- To look at the different types of unintentional injury young children (under fives) experience including how and why they happen and who is most at risk.
- To identify the steps parents can take to prevent common accidents.
- To understand the best ways of responding if an accident happens, including providing basic first aid.
- To explore how practitioners can pass on this knowledge to parents and carers effectively.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- explain the main causes of unintentional injuries amongst young children (under fives)
- outline the best ways to prevent common accidents
- respond effectively if an accident happens
- use engaging ways to communicate these issues to parents and carers.
A range of interactive approaches including presentations and group activities.
This CAPT course is delivered by Danielle Bridge, ABC Life Support Ltd.
- Download the How to deliver child accident prevention and first aid advice to parents programme (PDF, 84kb)
More information this in-house course
If you would like to commission this course contact Kevin Lowe on 0207 608 7363.