How to engage parents on child accident prevention
"Excellent delivery, very knowledgeable and friendly trainers – interactive opportunities were great."
- Fiona, Senior Family Support Worker, Centre Deputy on attending our How to engage parents on child accident prevention open course
"Relevant, focused and delivered to meet all learning styles i.e. great props, visual aids and resources."
- Nia, Family Outreach Worker on attending our How to engage parents on child accident prevention open course
A practical course to help all early years workers to empower parents and carers to prevent accidents.
Who should attend?
Practitioners working with families with children under five such as children’s centre staff, health visitors and family nurses and staff involved in early intervention and family support projects.
About the course
This practical course is designed to help practitioners empower mothers, fathers and other carers to prevent accidents amongst young children.
Participants will be coached to use CAPT’s Preventing Accidents session plan pack – a flexible resource for getting accident prevention messages across effectively.
Helping parents and carers to prevent unintentional accidents for children under five is an important task for practitioners such as children’s centre staff, health visitors and family nurses. It is one of the priorities of the Healthy Child programme and Ofsted assesses the quality of this work in its inspections of children’s centres.
- To develop practitioners’ knowledge about accidents among the under fives and the relationship between child development and injuries.
- To build practitioners’ confidence on how to get accident prevention messages across to parents and carers effectively.
At the end of the day practitioners will be able to:
- explain the main kinds of injuries that young children experience, their causes and what parents can do to prevent them
- boost engagement with parents and carers through proven methods that are effective in one-to-one and group work
- use everyday opportunities in the home/centre to introduce a safety topic
- plan and deliver accident prevention messages using CAPT’s session plan pack, having practised using the pack
- identify useful partner organisations that can support your accident prevention work.
Includes two copies of CAPT’s preventing accidents session pack worth £25 each.
This CAPT course is delivered by Carolyn Cripps and Christine Tame from Fit for Safety.
More information this in-house course
If you would like to commission this course contact Kevin Lowe on 0207 608 7363.