Safety signpost: seasonal safety issues
Two resources to help raise awareness of seasonal safety issues: falls from open windows and the dangers of carbon monoxide when camping.
We certainly have to make the most of the seemingly rare hot spells between the showers and floods which have become synonymous with the British summer. During the few heat waves that the country has seen since the very early one in March, there have sadly been a number of incidents directly linked to the warm weather.
The number of young children falling from open windows in May made national headlines, with dramatic scenes of a toddler being rescued from a window ledge. If you haven’t already seen it, CAPT’s DVD resource pack Look who’s falling deals with window safety, includes a reconstruction and advice on what to do to help prevent young children having a serious fall from a window:
With the camping season in full swing, please help spread the message about the dangers of carbon monoxide in tents and caravans. Hannah Thomas, a 14-year-old girl who had been sleeping in a tent died last month from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The family were all discovered to be unconscious after inhaling CO believed to be from a disposable barbecue which had been bought into the tent. To find out more about CO and other camping safety, the Camping and Caravanning Club have an excellent website: