Beware of button batteries this Christmas

BIPBA

“I went from having a fully weaned toddler to feeding him via a tube.”

Hollie, Mum of one-year-old Ralphie who swallowed a button battery

If a child swallows a big powerful lithium coin cell battery, the damage can be life-altering or even fatal.

But button batteries are an inevitable part of Christmas. They power so many products, from Christmas novelties to remote controls for anything that lights up.

While toys from reputable retailers will come with a screw on the button battery compartment, cheap toys bought online may not offer any protection.

Plus, gifts arrive with loose spare button batteries that can fall out unnoticed.

The damage a lithium coin cell battery does to a child’s food pipe if it gets stuck can happen alarmingly quickly, with few clear symptoms to warn you.

So it’s important to know how dangerous they are and to be alert to where they are in your home.

This Christmas, when buying toys look for brand names you know, give new toys a quick check to make sure battery compartments are secure and watch out for spare batteries that come loose with new products or toys.

Email notification

Sign up to our free child safety emails to receive safety alerts, top tips and free downloadable resources.

Learn more:

Button Batteries

Find out more about the risks before Christmas

Junk drawer to show flat button batteries

Use our top tips to keep you one step ahead

Button Batteries Poster: Where are yours?

Look at where they are in your home

Button battery lodged in baby’s food pipe

Find out what to do in an emergency

Share this post