Button Batteries

“It turns out this is one of the most damaging and dangerous things that my beautiful boy could have ever swallowed. It does not get much worse than this.” – Mother of an 8 month-old baby boy.

BIPBA

Button batteries can kill – help us keep babies, toddlers and preschoolers safe

In the last 10 months, two children have died after swallowing a button battery. Many more have suffered life-changing injuries.

Doctors are increasingly concerned. But far too many families simply don’t know, either about button battery dangers or the wide range of products powered by button batteries in our homes.

That’s why we’re offering free resources to help spread the word.

For parents

If you’re a parent or parent-to-be, download and share our fact sheet which explains why button batteries are so dangerous.

Our advice hub tells you more about the dangers and where you can find button batteries in your home, offers practical safety tips and advises what to do in an emergency.

For practitioners

If you work with families, we can help you create a talking point, run an engaging workshop and provide essential advice. Our free printed resources and downloads include:

  • Display poster – illustrated house showing products with button batteries in every room and asking the question “Button batteries – where are yours?”.
  • Dual-purpose flashcard and session plan – with a visual aid, workshop outline and safety facts and tips to share.
  • Flyer – explains the risks, offers essential safety tips and advises what to do if parents suspect their child has swallowed a battery. Available in both English and Welsh.
  • Translated fact sheets – essential information about the risks, where to look for button batteries and what to do in an emergency. Translated into 17 languages.

Order your free printed copies here

Grab your free downloads here

The threat to children

Katrina Phillips, Chief Executive of the Child Accident Prevention Trust says:

A button battery, particularly a big, powerful lithium coin cell battery, can kill a young child in under two hours if it gets stuck in their food pipe. If the child survives, the injuries can be life-changing.

“Crawling babies up to preschoolers are at most risk. But most parents don’t know about the dangers. Please use our free resources to get the word out and prevent more tragedies.”

With thanks

It’s thanks to the generosity of the Office for Product Safety and Standards that we can offer free printed resources.

Stay in touch

Don’t miss out. For free safety advice and resources direct to your inbox, sign up here:

Share this post