“The damage they did is absolutely unreal. They burned holes in the intestines. Whenever they opened him up some of his intestines already leaked out.” Mother of a three-year-old boy
What you need to know …
Keep your child safe
High-strength magnets can rip through a child’s gut if they swallow them, causing life-threatening injuries – and doctors are seeing a worrying increase in the number of cases. Read our tips on how you can keep your child safe.
Parents speak out
True-life stories from families whose children swallowed super strong magnets. From an 18-month-old who swallowed 23 magnets from an older child’s toy to an 11-year-old who came to regret a TikTok dare.
Toy safety: What are you paying for?
What’s the difference? Here we compare two magnetic building toys, showing how reputable manufacturers invest in toy safety.
Resources to share
Our visual, colourful, easy-to-read flyer alerts parents to the dangers of super strong magnets. Grab your free download and share to help raise awareness.
Leaflet and Poster
A free leaflet and poster from the Office for Product Safety and Standards with helpful safety messages to share with parents.
Social media assets
Free social media assets from the Office for Product Safety and Standards.
Investigation into magnetic toys sold online
An exclusive investigation by the Sunday Mirror found that sellers on online marketplaces are marketing ‘strong suction’ magnetic building kits as toys for babies as young as one month.
Magnetic toys recalled by Office for Product Safety and Standards
The Office for Product Safety and Standards have recalled several magnetic toys sold by Wish and Amazon.
Top children’s doctors issue warning on super strong magnets
Doctors from the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons (BAPS) have issued a warning to parents about the dangers of super strong magnets.
Safety alerts on super strong magnets
Safety alerts have been issued amid growing concerns of the dangers posed to children by super strong magnets.
Magnetic toys – a warning to parents
The worrying case of a three-year-old highlights a disturbing trend in serious injuries from children swallowing small, round, coloured magnets from magnetic toys.