Toddler’s tragic accident highlights the dangers of blind cords

A two-year-old boy has been strangled by a window blind cord, highlighting how important it is to be aware of blind cords safety in your home.

The toddler suffered brain injuries in the tragic accident after he climbed onto the back of the sofa at his home and became entangled in the cord. He died three days later.

Blind cords danger

It can take just 15 seconds for a toddler to lose consciousness if they become entangled in a blind cord – and they can die in just two to three minutes.

“This story is devastating and shows how accidents involving looped window blind cords can happen incredibly quickly.” said Katrina Phillips, Chief Executive of the Child Accident Prevention Trust.

“We urge parents and carers to check all rooms for looped blind cords and ensure they’re fitted with a blind cord safety device – especially in places where children play, like their bedrooms or the lounge.”

Making blind cords safe

For peace of mind, you might consider buying blinds without cords or chains, particularly for children’s bedrooms where they may be spending more time alone.

If you already have blinds with cords in your home, you can check they’re fitted with a tensioner or cleat hook to tie the cords out of young children’s reach. New blinds come with these included. It is essential that these are fitted.

The back of a Roman blind should be connected with a safety device for blind cords that breaks under pressure.

Also be mindful of blind cord dangers in other places where your children spend time, such as the homes of childminders, grandparents, or other family members.

More information and safety tips

The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) has created a leaflet which shows how blind cord safety devices should be used and provides further advice.

You’ll find lots more help on how to make blind cords safe in the blind cord safety section of this website.

Work with families?

Share this post